Location: Fleetwood Nautical Campus
37 hours per week (24 hour rota)
Summary of Responsibilities:
- To help provide effective warden cover and encourage students to participate fully in all College activities. To maintain a welcoming, healthy and safe College environment by upholding College Regulations and Codes of Practice.
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate experience of appropriate confidence to deal with demanding role with young people in a professional and unbiased manner.
- Working with young people in a support role within an educational/ developmental context.
- Be literate, numerate and confident in Microsoft Office applications. Have the ability to keep records in line with data protection.
- To possess strong interpersonal skills, with excellent written and verbal communication.
- To work confidently and calmly under pressure, independently with initiative but also as part of a team by adopting a flexible and positive attitude. Motivate and safeguard young people to perform and develop through their apprenticeship experience.
- To support and monitor the progress of all learners including those ‘at risk’ under 18 year old students in accommodation by provide support to nominated students in a mentoring capacity, with particular emphasis on achieving their learning goals. Provide pastoral support and signpost the student to other appropriate services within college.
- To monitor and personally check all under 18 year old students are in the accommodation at curfew times and other times as instructed by the Residential Services Manager.
- To remain customer focused at all times with a strong emphasis on quality, equality and wellbeing. Possess a non-judgemental attitude with the ability to gain the trust and respect of young people
- To work with the Residential Manager to ensure the welfare of all our students. Promoting and Safeguarding the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults at all times.
- Keep written records of any discipline, behaviour, health and safety or other relevant incidents, using the appropriate policies and procedures, ensuring all damages caused by students are investigated and following investigation all costs are charged to the appropriate person/s
- To supervise and / or react to any medical problems and ensure that students receive necessary Fist aid in an emergency in accordance with College policy.
- To be responsible for student welfare and refer any student who requires specialist information, advice, help or guidance and to inform the Fleetwood Residence Manager of such referral.
- To be fully aware of National Minimum Standards for under 18 students and ensure as a College we adhere to them and look to seek improvements where necessary.
- To ensure all curfews are managed effectively and ensure the under 18 signing our system is upheld and run efficiently in accordance with the current Conditions of Residence and code of conduct handbook.
- To provide daily reports in the log and via email to the Residential Manager on a daily basis.
- To maintain discipline and participate as required in disciplinary investigations in accordance with the disciplinary code. To provide a degree of presence within the restaurant, bar and on campus generally enabling students and visitors to make contact if required.
- To support the Residential Manager with administration duties.
- To assist with the staffing of College bars and ensure licensing laws are adhered to.
- To be responsible for keys and alarms in relation to the halls of residence and the main building.
- To conduct a full induction programme for new residents with the Residential and Facilities Manager.
- Monitoring of cross college CCTV and reporting accordingly.
- Participate in the promotional and marketing activities of the campus as required and ensure a professional and favourable image is portrayed at all times to enhance the college reputation and assist in ensuring future success.
- Undertake any Planned Maintenance and cleaning duties required.
- To ‘officially’ report on duty in the evening and handover in the morning to your colleagues / Residential Manager, informing them of any incident, maintaining an “open line” contact for the students through the Warden Mobile phone.
- Maintaining standards – Implement and monitor the college routine for under 18 year old students in residence. Maintain a safe environment for all students. Discourage antisocial behaviour. Maintain accurate records.
- To be the first point of contact whilst on call / carry the duty phone on a rota between all Residential Staff employed – which will cover 52 weeks of the year.
- All staff will be required to attend departmental / Wardens meetings, and other meetings and undertake staff development activities as identified.
Standard responsibilities for all positions in B&FC:
- To fully adhere to all college policies and procedures.
- Take appropriate responsibility to ensure the health and safety of self and others.
- Pursue the achievement and integration of equality and diversity throughout all College activities.
- Blackpool and The Fylde College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff to share this commitment.
- To show commitment to the College and its internal and external customers.
- To work co-operatively with colleagues at all times.
- Undertake any other tasks and responsibilities appropriate to the level of this post.