Maths Sessional Academic Tutors
University of Sheffield International College
Sessional Academic Tutors (for foundation and pre-Master levels)
(£28.32 per class hour) (Variable & Casual hours)
The University of Sheffield International College and its programmes are provided by Study Group in collaboration with the University of Sheffield. We are currently seeking sessional tutors for the following subject areas:
- Maths Tutor (with a Bachelor’s in Mathematics) to teach Pure Maths and Applied Maths at foundation level.
- Maths Tutor (with a Bachelor’s and at least Master’s degree in a Mathematics related degree (e.g. maths, applied maths, engineering, physics) to teach JAVA programming and pre masters maths.
- To deliver high quality teaching of modules to groups of international students at both Foundation and Pre-Masters’ levels
- To undertake marking and feedback provision on formative and summative basis, whilst complying with Quality Standards and Processes
- To support development of students’ independent learning
- To provide module feedback to a relevant module coordinator
- To maintain an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance
- To participate in regular meetings with teaching and support staff
- To monitor and offer ongoing academic support to designated groups of students
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy working with international students and be performance driven. In addition, you will have:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- A teaching qualification such as CELTA or PGCE.
- A proven ability to teach these topics
- A minimum of 1-2 years teaching experience, in UK higher, further education or sixth form context, or other EAP experience
- Experience of working with international students is desirable but not essential
- Experience, and a positive track record, of working with staff teams, evaluating performance and identifying development needs
- A level examination is desirable for foundation level but not essential.
- A student-centred approach
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment (e.g. Blackboard)
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player
A full background (DBS) check will be required.