Care Assistant Apprentice (L2)
Employer: Penny Pot Residential Care Home Ltd
Apprenticeship level: Intermediate
Apprenticeship duration: 12 months
Possible start date: 30th October 2017
Working week: 36 hours per week. Shifts will vary over the weeks, dependent on availability of the apprentice and other staff members.
This apprenticeship entails learning how to care for elderly individuals in a care home setting, with the help and guidance of experience Care Assistants.
- To learn how to care for elderly individuals in a care home setting, with the help and guidance of experience Care Assistants.
- To learn, and share knowledge and new experiences with other members of the team.
- To learn from other members of staff how to effectively care for service users, and to assist with the daily activities of the Care Home.
- To uphold the standards and expectations laid out by the Care Home Management Team and to respect the service user’s choices, independence, dignity and individuality.
- To complete a recognised qualification for Health and Social Care and any other training as required.
- To learn how to assist care staff with residents who need help with getting up in the morning, dressing, undressing, washing, bathing and going to the toilet and to assist residents to wash and make comfortable for bed.
- To complete all training and QCF in a timely manner.
- To learn how to help care staff with residents with mobility and other physical disabilities including incontinence and help in use and care of aids and personal equipment.
- To learn how to help in the promotion of mental and physical activity of residents through talking to them and sharing with them in activities such as reading, writing, hobbies and recreations.
- To learn how to assist domestic staff in keeping bedrooms clean and tidy.
- To learn how to feed residents who need help and assist catering staff as needed.
- To answer doors and the telephone and to greet visitors.
- To take part in staff and resident meetings and in training activities as directed.
- To comply with the home's policies and procedures at all times.
- To encourage residents to remain as independent as possible.
- To respect the confidentiality of all matters and the requirements of the Data Protection Act.
- To learn how to maintain accurate notes and records about each resident on the Care Docs System and to handover all relevant information to staff regarding the ongoing care of individual residents.
- Assist with care home events, fundraisers and awareness days.
- Any other duties as required.
- Basic understanding of computers (as we use a computer programme for our documentation).
- Knowledge of how to use basic home equipment i.e. kitchen equipment (microwave), televisions, and phones.
- Good telephone manner.
- Good memory.
- Caring nature.
- Friendly and positive attitude.
- Willing to learn and take on challenges.
- Patience and understanding.
- Honest and trustworthy.
- Have a genuine interest within the care sector.
- Flexible approach to work.
- GCSE, or equivalent, in Maths and English.