English and Academic Skills Tutor
Due to growth in student numbers, Liverpool John Moores University International Study Centre are now recruiting an English Language and Academic Skills tutor to join the existing teaching team. Reporting to the Head of English and Academic Skills, the successful candidate will be responsible for teaching modules in English Language, Academic Skills and Preparatory English to students on university preparation programmes offered by the Centre.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and innovative tutor. The right candidate will have a natural ability to motivate students and deliver high quality teaching as well as carrying out relevant pastoral functions. You will enjoy working with international students, be performance driven and be able to work co-operatively and flexibly with other colleagues. We are looking for a patient and committed tutor who is committed to providing an interesting and effective learning experience to our students.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Relevant teaching qualification (CELTA, DELTA, TEFL, MA Linguistics, PGCE or related subject)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching international students on university preparation courses up to Pre-Masters level, or at an equivalent level
- Experience of developing and updating teaching materials, and experience of working with a Virtual Learning Environment
- Competence in administration and IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.) Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance driven team player
Description of role:
Teaching and learning, student progress and delivery of lessons
1. To deliver high quality teaching to groups of international students
2. To undertake marking and feedback provision on a formative and summative basis, whilst complying with quality standards and processes.
3. To act as a Module Leader in relevant subject areas, including coordinating a team of tutors updating module handbooks, preparing module assessment analysis and review reports and preparing detailed schemes of work (indicative)
4. To deliver schemes of work effectively, to set assessments and mark these in a timely manner
5. To teach up to a maximum of 25 hours per week (teaching contact time)
6. To be responsible for creating and updating teaching materials
7. To act as a personal tutor to provide academic and pastoral support to students
8. To ensure and monitor student punctuality, attendance and appropriate behaviour in class/teaching rooms
9. To maintain up to date records of student attendance and assessment grades
10. To make every effort to secure the best performance from each student at their level both during their course and in final exams and assessments
11. To contribute to the preparation of mid and end of term reports on and for students
12. Provide cover where necessary
13. To attend and contribute to staff meetings and Assessment Boards, where necessary.
14. To keep up to date with developments in academic teaching and skills including developing the use of e-learning resources
15. To work in a collegial fashion and foster productive relations with ISC and HEI colleagues
16. To contribute towards continuing professional development and lead on relevant CPD sessions 17. To carry out any other duties as required by the Head of English and Academic Skills and Head of Centre
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records checks if appropriate.
If you are interested and would like to apply for this post, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your suitability for the role to Christina Roberts, Head of Centre (CRoberts@studygroup.com) by Friday 28 July 2017. Interviews will take place on Tuesday 15 August 2017.
Apply for English and Academic Skills Tutor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly