Head of English
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a skilled, talented and personable, candidate to join the Study Group organisation, taking up a key position in our brand new Durham learning centre as the Head of English. Study Group is a global leader in providing a transformational learning experience for international students, leaving them with academic success and rewarding careers. 2016 was a successful year with 70,000 students enrolling across 163 countries. This is an exciting time for the organisation as we introduce a new centre, working in partnership with a highly reputable University. Above all, providing a fantastic learning experience to our students is at the heart of what we do, so if you are passionate, dedicated, and interested in embarking in a truly fulfilling position, then you’ve come to the right place.
To lead a team of English tutors, ensuring that all English and Academic Skills modules across all courses and programmes are delivered to agreed standards, follow the agreed curriculum and utilise agreed assessment modes, resulting in the best possible outcomes for students and the best possible student experience. To design and manage the delivery of English and Academic Skills modules.
- Leadership and management experience in a teaching and learning environment
- Experience of leading a team to achieve high levels of student academic performance and outcomes against agreed targets
- Experience of teaching English to international students in UK Higher or Further Education
- Experience of planning and running complex education courses in the English and Academic Skills area
- Experience of leading the provision of academic skills within a HE environments
- Experience of partnership working in the education sector
- Experience of supporting international students with careers and employability advice is desirable
- Ability to operate within quality assurance frameworks or to quality codes
- Knowledge of CEFR and its use as a benchmark for English language courses
- Knowledge of best practice in teaching English and AES area in FE and HE
- Ability to analyse data and identify areas for improvement from the data
- Ability to lead a diverse team of academic professionals
- Flexibility and willingness to work to tight deadlines
- Student-centred approach to planning and delivering educational services
- Knowledge of best practice in the delivery of HE careers and employability services
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance driven team leader
- Bachelor’s degree (essential)
- Relevant Teaching qualification (DELTA, TEFL, MA Linguistics)
- Leadership and management training.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.